Dipl.-Ing. Ulf Zimmermann
Phone: +49-381-498-70 78
Mathematical approaches to bone remodelling under the influence of electric stimulation
Numerous electrostimulative applications to enhance the bone growth were introduced and are now in use to treat small fractures and bone defects. Most of these applications use an inductively coupled system to induce an electric field inside the bone. At the University of Rostock a new electrostimulative hip revision system for total hip arthroplasty (THA) has been proposed. This system uses three to seven stimulation electrodes which are arranged on the acetabular cup. The induced potentials generate an electric field in the bone which stimulates the bone remodelling processes. The goal of this project is to describe these processes mathematically.
- SCHMIDT, C., ZIMMERMANN, U. and VAN RIENEN, U., 2015. Modeling of an Optimized Electro-Stimulative Hip Revision System Under Consideration of Uncertainty in the Conductivity of Bone Tissue. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics. DOI: 10.1109/JBHI.2015.2423705.
- ZIMMERMANN, U. and VAN RIENEN, U., 2014. An Automatic Pareto Classifier for the Multiobjective Optimization of an Electrostimulative Acetabular Revision System. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 50 (2). DOI: 10.1109/TMAG.2013.2282993.
- PETERSEN, S., ZIMMERMANN, U., SCHMIDT, C., SCHWABE, L., WARKENTIN, M. and TEIPEL, S., 2014. Linking a neural mass model with a 3D Model of the human brain to reproduce EEG signals. Biomedical Engineering/Biomedizinische Technik, 59 (3), pp. 231-40. DOI: 10.1515/bmt-2013-0062.
Reviewed paper important congress:
- ZIMMERMANN, U. and VAN RIENEN, U., 2015. The impact of bone microstructure on the field distribution of electrostimulative implants. 37th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, Milano, Italy. pp. 3545 - 3548, DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2015.7319158.
- EBNER, C., ZIMMERMANN, U., SU, Y., VAN RIENEN, U., MITTELMEIER, W. and BADER, R. 2015. Electrical stimulation of osseointegration of an uncemented total hip stem. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, TrackP: S1162.
- ZIMMERMANN,U., EBNER, C., BADER, R. and VAN RIENEN, U., 2014. Numerical Investigation of an Electrostimulative Hip Stem with a Multi-Electrode Setting. The 10th International Conference on Scientifc Computing in Electrical Engineering (SCEE), pp. 79-80.
- ZIMMERMANN, U. and VAN Rienen, U., 2014. On the Optimization of the Hip Stem for an Electrostimulative Hip Revision System. General Assembly and Scientific Symposium (URSI GASS), pp. 1-4. DOI: 10.1109/URSIGASS.2014.6930126.
- SCHMIDT, C., ZIMMERMANN, U. and VAN RIENEN, U., 2014. Uncertainty quantification of the optimal stimulation area in an electro-stimulative hip revision system. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC). 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE, pp. 824-827. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2014.6943718.
- ZIMMERMANN, U. and van RIENEN, U., 2013. Multi-objective optimization using the hyper-radial visualization method, 25th Workshop on “Advances in Electromagnetic Research” (KWT 2013), Riezlern, Austria, Aug. 17-23, 2013, (1-page abstract).
- ZIMMERMANN, U. and VAN RIENEN, U., 2012. Identification of widely applicable configurations for the electrostimulative total hip revision system. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2012 Annual International Conference of the IEEE. pp. 3048-3051. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2012.6346607.