MSc Kiran Sriperumbudur
University of Rostock
Faculty of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
Institute of General Electrical Engineering
Electric Stimulation of Auditory Nerve by Cochlear Implant Electrodes: Modelling and Simulation
The goal of this project is to model the three dimensional structure of the human cochlea embedded with a stimulating electrode and auditory nerve fibers and simulate the electric stimulation of auditory nerve to study the signal generation and propagation in the auditory nerve.
- Modelling a 3D geometry of human cochlea embedded with a stimulating electrode and auditory nerve fibers
- Applying the appropriate mathematical models for the auditory nerve to simulate the action potential
- Studying various factors affecting the single generation and propagation
- 3D geometry of the human cochlea embedded with the stimulating electrode and spiral ganglion cells has been modelled
- Signal initiation sites on the spiral ganglion cells in the absence of auditory nerve fibers has been studied
- A set of hybrid equations to describe the signal generation and propagation in the myelinated central axons has been derived from the available auditory nerve models and has been tested their applicability
- Nowak K., Mix E., Gimsa J., Strauss U., Sriperumbudur K.K., Benecke R., Gimsa U. (2011): “Optimizing a Rodent Model of Parkinson’s Disease for Exploring the Effects and Mechanisms of Deep Brain Stimulation“, Parkinson’s Disease, Volume 2011, (Article ID 414682, doi:10.4061/2011/414682)
Reviewed paper important congresses
- SRIPERUMBUDUR, K., PAU, HW. and VAN RIENEN, U., 2015. Electrical Stimulation of Spiral Ganglion Cells in the Human Cochlea: A 3D Model.Int. Conference on the Computation of Electromagnetic Fields (COMPUMAG 2015), Montreal, CA, paper number: PC1-11.
- APPALI, R. SRIPERUMBUDUR, K. and VAN RIENEN, U., 2015. 3D Axonal Network Coupled to Microelectrode Arrays: A Simulation Model to Study Neuronal Dynamics. 37th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC) Milano, Italy, pp. 4700 - 4704, DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2015.7319443.
- SRIPERUMBUDUR, K., PAU, HW., MYLINSKI, R. and VAN RIENEN., 2015. Signal Initiation Sites on Spiral Ganglion Cells: A Simulation Study. 37th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Milano, Italy.
- SRIPERUMBUDUR, K., PAU, HW., MYLINSKI, R. and VAN RIENEN., 2015. Signal Initiation Sites on Spiral Ganglion Cells during the electric stimulation of Auditory nerve: A Simulation Study. 5th Int. Symp. Interface Biology of Implants (IBI 2015), Rostock-Warnemünde, Germany.